Angkor Achaeological Site
Angkor means ‘City or Capital'; it is a world heritage site that is under UNESCO since 1992. This site is located to the North of Siem Reap town which is just about a few kilometers. Angkor is the largest heritage site in the world and it covers an area of 400 square kilometers. Ancient population called ‘Khmer' lived here in this site. This site was discovered by the French naturalist Henri Mouhot in 1860. There are more than 300 temples in this site and all of them need care because of the destructions caused by nature and people.
The French moved in 1908, Mr. Jean Commaille initiated the Angkor Conservation in Siem Reap and with this started the restoration of the ruins in this site. The first guide to Angkor was written by Mr. Jean Commaille. The French tried to restore and conduct researches on the mysterious Angkor . Some of the objectives of the research included History, temples, geography, architecture, people, map of Angkor site and map of Cambodia .
The Ecole Française d'Extrème Orient (EFEO) was established in Siem Reap in 1898 after the establishment of the French protectorate in 1863. They sent many French archeologists and historians to work research on Angkor history, language, and archeology. Maurice Glaize (1937 -1946) was an architect who wrote a book call “Les Monuments du group d'Angkor” published in 1943. You will be able to download his book from www.theangkorguide.com. There are many other famous French archeologists and architects who worked on the Angkor site: Henri Marchal, Georges Trouvé, Henri Parmentier, and Bernard Philippe Groslier. EFEO moved away from Cambodia in 1972.
It was thought that the Angkor temples were destroyed during the Cambodian war during the American bombing and during Khmer Rouge. However fortunately the temples were not destroyed and the communists did not destroy the temples during the Khmer Rouge, but they forced people to work and tortured them to death. Even today the Angkor temples stand majestically and even some traces of ballute still remain there.